1. Open Notepad and create an empty file and save it with a .UDL extension. Example. Connect.UDL
2. Go to your desktop and double-click on the file you just created and the Data Link Properties box will popup.
3. Select the Provider tab and Find the provider that you want to connect with and click Next.
4. Now from the Connection tab, select or enter your source/ server name -> then enter information to log on to server -> and select the database on the server.
5. Click Test Connection and click OK to save the file.
NOTE: If you get an error with the connection testing, please make sure that the SQL Server Browser is running. You can check this by opening SQL Server Configuration Manager on the SQL server and go to the Services menu.